Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Summer

I've been working at Bob Evans all summer, finding my little niche in the culture of the "day-shift" women, a crowd of mothers and wives who take their tip money very seriously. I am so grateful for this job, but I'm counting down the days that I can get back into the schools.

In my last entry, I talked about the restlessness I felt working as a substitute teacher. But you don't know what you have until it's gone, of course. I can't wait to be back in classrooms, talking to young people, watching tenured/expert teachers, putting my face out there for all to see, and getting compliments on my willingness to work. I can't wait to hear all the district happenings and hear the teachers complain about their jobs (they have no idea how jealous I am!).

I'm going to be so much more adamant about finding subbing jobs and being prepared to be called in every day. I also got some advice from a substitute that I worked with often during student teaching: he said to give your resume and a cover letter to each school and district that I want to work with about taking any permanent sub positions available. This is going to be my goal for August.

No comments: