Monday, September 10, 2012

Diet Woes

This article about glycemic index got me thinking about about my life long battle of the bulge and how it sometimes seems like a battle not worth fighting.  Maintaining weight loss has been hard for me.  I have watched the scale slowly creep back up by tenths of a pound.  I tell myself every day that I will plan my meals the next day and stick to it!  But alas, it's so much more fun to eat boneless fried chicken chunks slathered in buffalo sauce.

I met a young guy this weekend from Italy.  I mentioned that I had done a spinning class that morning, and he asked how many times a week I go to the gym.  I told him I aim for 5, and he seemed surprised.  "Why do you go so much?"  "Because I love to eat," I said.  "Why don't you just eat less?"  Exactly.

I think part of my issue is that I eat when I'm overwhelmed.  I don't know how to start my to-do list, so I just eat instead.  I also hoard calories--as if I don't know where my next meal is going to happen, so I am pre-programmed to eat until I'm full.  Sounds nuts, right?

I don't want to examine how or why I developed an abusive relationship with food.  All I know is that I want to change it.  Tomorrow's meals are planned; let's see if I can stick to it just for tomorrow.  When tomorrow is over, I can worry about Wednesday.  I need to start taking one bite at a time, living in the present and having faith that I will get the nourishment I need when I need it.

No comments: