Monday, March 17, 2008

Wow, I actually like middle schoolers.

I've been in the classroom this semester on Tuesdays and Thursdays at a charter K-8th school. It's interesting to be a part of a different kind of learning environment. Everything is more integrated, and the student population is smaller. I'm learning the students names and becoming more and more a part of the class, but it's happening very slowly because there are three--I repeat: THREE--other pre-student teachers in that class. The students don't seem to have the desire to get to know us all, but I am the youngest and probably the most in touch with that age level.

I've also been helping out with an after-school program at a public middle school. It's mostly just hanging out with the students and helping them with their homework, sometimes. But I feel like this after-school time is very valuable because I'm becoming used to being around young people and being required to lead them and keep them on task. I really enjoy talking to the students and hearing what they have to say, which is a HUGE relief because some select teachers never have that.

No comments: