Tuesday, November 10, 2009

My name is.

Adventures in subbing have brought me to another realization: learning someone's name speaks volumes. I was subbing for IEPs at an elementary school that I frequent. I was in the last class for the day, supervising some independent work, learning and using names as I go. When the class was all packed up and sitting on the carpet, I was passing the time asking them about their hobbies and extracurricular activities. One girl raised her hand to share, and I blanked on her name for a moment. I finally remembered and said it, and her face lit up into a huge, genuine smile. What a gem.

I've received compliments on my ability to learn the names of students quickly. But I often wonder how other subs or aides get by without being able to do so. As soon as you learn a student's name, you have his/her attention. (they always ask, in amazement, "How do you know my name?" Well, it's written on your desk.) You create a connection between you and the individual because you've shown that they matter enough for you to learn something that is special about them. It's a recognition of their existance within a sea of faces (or, in this case, a class of 30 students).

No comments: