Sunday, December 12, 2010

Monkey Bread Mishap

I invited a couple of my friends over the other night for some much-needed catching up and girl time. A perfect excuse to bake, I thought, as I pulled out my mom's delicious Monkey Bread recipe. Angela and Stacey sat on the couch and we talked while I coated bits of biscuit with cinnamin and sugar. However, the recipe calls for a sugary glaze overtop, which has to be boiled.

Apparently, sugar burns pretty quickly. Before I knew what was happening, there was smoke rising rapidly from the saucepan on the stove, and the bubbles of liquid inside had turned black. Eventually, the entire apartment was filled with smoke, and my guests had to run into the hallway to seek fresh air. Daisy was panting because she couldn't breathe!

It was awefully embarassing, but entirely hilarious. We grabbed Daisy and our coats and went for a walk down the street while I aired the apartment out with a fan and an open window. I'm glad my friends can see the humor in that kind of situation. The Monkey Bread turned out pretty mushy, but they loved it anyway.

Next time, I will 1.) Bake ahead of time, before my friends come over. 2.) Not leave sugar + a heat source unattended. Stay tuned for my next adventure in cooking!

No comments: