Friday, December 02, 2011

Cover Letters and Resumes

While reading through some cover letters and resumes for my boss, I am making some interesting observations.  Here's some of my [slightly un-]professional opinions:


  • Write a cover letter.  If you don't want the job enough to write the cover letter, then don't write a cover letter.  Your resume will be put in the "no" pile.  
  • Don't overgeneralize in your cover letter, and don't use abbreviations.  Use full title positions and institution names.  And give specific examples.  Don't mention the weather in your cover letter either (true story).  
  • Don't give a paragraph of description for every bullet of experience, and don't give me every single fast food job you worked 10 years ago.  
  • Formatting is more important that you think.  Employers like to see attention to detail, and the resume is the first impression of this.  
    • Sidebar:  I have a friend who went in for a job interview and the person interviewing him said that she combed his resume for grammatical errors and typos and was impressed that he didn't have any, which showed that he is highly attentive to detail. (Granted, the job is at an accounting firm, but it's relevant.)
  • Don't write that you have good interpersonal skills.  Any schmo can write that on their resume.  
  • DO include:
    • social networking proficiency.  
    • All computer programming and software skills.
    • Languages, if you speak more than one.
Okay, now that I have a better perspective on what a good resume looks like, I'm going to go edit my own.    

2 comments:

Angela Michelle Scott said...

Good luck with your own resume Erika! Those sound like pretty reasonable observations to me.

nicolle said...

So agree. I've looked at probably thousands of resumes in my years in HR and you'd be surprised with what I've seen. I had one person actually write "Aggressive personality that is good with people".