Thursday, December 10, 2009

Yesterday, I "floated", which is always fun because during the times where there weren't IEPs scheduled, it was a tug-o-war between who gets the sub. I feel like I'm being the most useful in Mrs. K's resource room, where having another teacher around is always helpful. In a perfect world, she would have an aide for every student. But there just isn't the money right now.

It's so discouraging hearing about all of the budget cut meetings and the speculations by staff about how they will cut corners. This chatter and local NPR will not stop reminding me that it's just going to get worse on the job search front. Can't a girl just do some teachin'?

To distract myself from my worries, I've been focusing on my new puppy, the GREs, tracking my diet and exercise, and celebrating the holidays. And don't get me wrong, I really do enjoy substitute teaching. I love being in a school, getting students to think, watching the social interactions of young people, and learning how to be a better teacher. I make a point to keep an open mind when I go into every job, knowing that I can and WILL learn something today.

No comments: