Thursday, October 02, 2008

End of Personal Narrative Unit

Half of the class has handed in their personal narrative, which makes me sad because it's worth a large chunk of their grade, so if they don't do it, they don't pass. The reason for this is that it's part of the 10th grade curriculum for the district.

I've been slowly reading this book called Making the Journey by Leila Christenbury, and she writes a section about failure being a consistent reality for teachers. Teachers are unsuccessful over and over again, and you need to know it going in to the profession. I'm learning it firsthand right now; I feel like I didn't inspire them to want to write their essays. I feel like I don't plan activities and units that are engaging. But my sensitivities are slowly reaching reality. There's always another chance to teach. Teaching isn't all or nothing. It's doing the best that you can.

And I'm not worried as much because I know I want to improve. I want to do better. And I want to help these kids make it into the world.

No comments: