Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Computer Lab BUST!

Taking the students to the Media Center to use the computers was a bust. Trying to get their passwords figured out took up half of the period, and then most of the class didn't work on their papers but goofed off instead. Unfortunately, we had to take away the computer lab privilege. I would have liked to be able to use it this year, but it would be doing a disservice to the Media Center to bring in a rowdy group again anytime soon.

I told the class that, if they were all diligently working on their Personal Narratives, that the date may be extended if necessary. But since, as a whole, the class isn't taking this assignment seriously, their due date is tomorrow. I'm giving them the whole class period to write today, and Friday, I'm going to have them bring in "final copies". Over the weekend, I'm going to grade them, and then return them on Monday with a week's worth of lesson plans to address the different things that I'm finding are hard for students to grasp, whether it be technically, organizationally, or whatever.

It's hard not to get discouraged with this section of English that I'm teaching. I'm trying as hard as I can to self-evaluate and try to figure out what different things I can do to engage the students. But at the same time, I don't want to keep beating myself up. I am trying, and I'm going to continue to put forth the effort. I need to keep reminding myself that there are students that are working and trying, too.

I DO need to do the following:
Spend more time trying to come up with more creative elements to include in the lessons.
Anticipate for problems and always be sure to over-plan.
Create backup assignments for people who are absent the day of the lesson.
Plan farther in advance than I have been, in case something comes up and I can't make copies, use a resource, etc.

I also want to buy a laptop case so that I can start putting everything in my backpack and walking to school on days that I can.

No comments: