Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Good Day

Mrs. D advised me to start the class out with an activity that they will start as soon as they get into class, so that the down time wouldn't allow the class to get riled up like it has been. I had them do some freewriting to get them working right away. Tomorrow, I'm going to have them do some grammar exercises; I'll bring in candy for the people who get it right.

I'm beginning to really fall in love with the students. They make me laugh, and they're starting to work harder, which is awesome. Thankfully, the class won't get any bigger. I don't think I can ever teach at a school with a really homogeneous population; I like the diversity at the high school I am at. It makes things more interesting. It's a catch-22 with the parent involvement, though. The parents at this high school are relatively uninvolved, but at the schools in the highly academic (i.e. high income) areas, the parents can be overbearing.

No comments: