Thursday, September 18, 2008

First Observation

I was observed by my student teaching supervisor today for the first time. The class was hell; nothing out of the ordinary.

My supervisor told me that I really need to figure out some more procedures to use to keep the class focused and working. I feel a little embarrassed, and I wish I could go back and think things through for the first couple days of school. The more I think about it, the more I realize the kind of person it takes to be a teacher.

1. You need to be slightly delusional in your steadfastness and patience.
2. You never stop growing as a teacher, and so if you don't have humility towards your potential for growth, you'll never be happy.
3. You need to like teenagers.
4. You need to be okay with the presence of conflict and drama, because it never ends.
5. You need to be able to try and try and try and try again.

The way my supervisor was talking to me was as if the only thing I really needed to do to get her approval was to keep trying and not get discouraged. It's hard, and there are so many coulda-woulda-shouldas just in the first two weeks alone. Hopefully, I can get control of the class and bring things back around to where they need to be. I know I can do this, because I want to succeed and I want to grow.

Monday will be the beginning of a new English 10 General 6th hour.

No comments: